The following is from the Colorado Department of Revenue – Division of Motor Vehicles:
Repeat alcohol offenders are required to have an ignition interlock device installed on their vehicle(s) before they can reinstate their driving privileges. Reinstated licenses are restricted to the use of vehicles equipped with an approved ignition interlock device for a period of at least one year.
You will be required to have an approved ignition interlock device if:
- Your license was revoked because of convictions for two alcohol-related driving offenses in five years.
- Your license was revoked because of convictions for three alcohol-related driving offenses in your lifetime.
- Your license was revoked because of your being designated an Habitual Traffic Offender and at least one of your underlying convictions was for an alcohol-related driving offense.
- Your last offense occurred after 07/01/2000
- Your blood alcohol level at the time of being stopped by a law enforcement officer was 0.17 or more. (For all stops after 01/01/2007.)
Drivers who fall into this category will be allowed to reinstate only with a restricted license that limits their driving to vehicles with an approved ignition interlock device.
Interlock paperwork can be faxed to 303-205-5625.
Colorado has contracted with the following four Interlock providers. Please contact one of them for further information. The restricted driver is responsible for all of the costs of the Ignition Interlock Device.
Interlock Providers:Smart Start, Inc. 1-800-880-3394 Westminster, CO 80030
National Interlock Services Ltd. 1-800-475-5490 Aurora, CO 80011
Guardian Interlock Systems 1-800-499-0994 Denver, CO 80022
Draeger Safety Diagnostics, Inc. 1-800-332-6858 Denver CO 80216